A Settlement has been reached with Daimler AG and Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC in a class action lawsuit. Plaintiffs allege in the lawsuit that the HVAC systems in certain Mercedes-Benz vehicles are defectively designed such that they accumulate mold or mildew and emit related odors. Defendants Daimler AG and Mercedes-Benz USA, LLC deny the allegations in the lawsuit and deny they acted improperly or did anything wrong. Both sides have agreed to the proposed Settlement to avoid the costs and risks of a lengthy trial and appeals process.
- The Settlement provides two benefits to Class Members: (1) cash reimbursement for costs paid for repairs related to a customer complaint of moldy, mildew-y, or similar odor emanating from the vehicle’s HVAC system including cleaning the evaporator and replacing the filter, and (2) coverage for those repairs in the future. The percentage of reimbursement or coverage is on a sliding scale based on the age of the vehicle.
- For repairs that occurred before May 11, 2020, your Claim Form for reimbursement must be submitted online or postmarked no later than July 25, 2020. For repairs that occur between May 11, 2020 and December 7, 2020, your claim form must be submitted within 75 days of the repair.
- The deadline to object to the Settlement is July 25, 2020, and the deadline to exclude yourself from the Settlement is July 25, 2020.
Am I a Class Member?
You are a Class Member if you are a current or former owner or lessee of one of the following Mercedes-Benz vehicles who purchased or leased your vehicle in the United States:
- C - Class (model years 2008-2019);
- GLK - Class (model years 2010-2015);
- CLS - Class (model years 2012-2017);
- E - Class (model years 2010-2019);
- GLA - Class (model years 2015-2019);
- GL - Class (model years 2013-2016);
- GLE - Class (model years 2016-2019);
- GLS - Class (model years 2017-2019);
- M - Class (model years 2012-2015); or
- GLC - Class (model years 2016-2019).
Protecting Your Personal Information
Your identity and all information you provide in making your claim will be kept strictly confidential in accordance with the Settlement Agreement. All personal information acquired as a result of this settlement will solely be used for the purposes of evaluating and paying claims under the Settlement Agreement. Once all timely, valid claims have been paid, and in compliance with applicable retention law, all personal information obtained in connection with this settlement will be destroyed in a manner most likely to guarantee that such information will not be obtained by unauthorized persons.
The Settlement provides two benefits to Class Members: (1) cash reimbursement for costs paid for certain past repairs of the HVAC system, and (2) coverage for those repairs in the future. The percentage of reimbursement or coverage is on a sliding scale based on the age of the vehicle, as follows:
|Vehicle Age Time Period
||Reimbursement/ Coverage Amount
|Warranty Coverage Period (the earlier of 4 years from in-service date or 50,000 miles, under standard warranty)
|From end of Warranty Coverage Period to the earlier of 8 years from in-service date or 100,000 miles
|From end of prior Period to the earlier of 10 years from in-service date or 125,000 miles
A past repair is a repair that occurs before December 7, 2020 related to a customer complaint of moldy, mildew-y, or similar odor emanating from the Subject Vehicle’s HVAC system, including cleaning the evaporator (flushing, Wynn, Contra-Sept, and any other cleaning methods or services) and replacing the filter. Evaporator replacement is included as a past repair only if the replacement was done at an Authorized Service Center.
A future repair is any repair to clean the vehicle’s evaporator and/or replace the filter that is performed at an Authorized Service Center on or after the December 7, 2020. You do not need to bring your vehicle in for a future repair until and unless you experience moldy, mildew-y odors emanating from the HVAC system. Only current owners and lessees are eligible for future repairs.